Monday, July 09, 2012

To Bring Forth The Witness

Good morning, as we try once more to figure out exactly what sort of summer 2012 will bring. This year the June rains arrived in July after the wheat harvest came early due to the drought and heat of late spring and early summer. What is next for us? A more normal sort of summer, or what exactly is normal for us anymore? This morning in the cool of the day, I thought what a privilege it is to speak in a small way for God. My witness is of God and what His Son did for me. Now, I often confuse that with my resume, which is a listing of what I have accomplished in this life. Some of us look at our lives and decide there is not enough accomplishment to warrant a witness. Some of us try to tell the story of all that we have been through in this life. Those things certainly help round out a good story, but the essence of our witness is His story, the good news of Jesus Christ. No one can be saved by my story apart from the most important part - that which Jesus has done for me in my life. The greatest witness of what Jesus has done is not the speaking or writing part, but the silent speech of a changed life.

So, where then does all of our unique experiences, life events, good stories, and such come in to this witness? God created you and me with special powers. Not jumping over tall buildings kind of powers, though I admit that might be amusing for a bit, but the sum total of all that we are. Take what you are now, combined with what has happened in your life and what you have learned, and top that off with what Jesus did for you and to you, and present this special creation as your witness. You may never be called to give a public speech, but people look and some will be led to ask about you. God created you and saved you for His purpose. Before the day you and I said 'yes' to Jesus, our Lord was at work in our lives shaping our witness for that day when we would begin to be the witness. We are called to witness because we are the witness, the witness for Jesus Christ. What a privilege we enjoy.

Bucky

No comments: