Friday, July 06, 2012

A Shot In The Dark

Sounds like the start to a certain bad novel, but that line is, "It was a dark and stormy night." Snoopy wrote it several times as he struggled to become a published author. I haven't used it yet, but at this point I will reject no possibility. This morning, I gave some thought to a shot in the dark. In many places, i.e. cities around the world, a shot in the dark is sort of like the trains for us. They come and they go, and as long as the blast of the horn doesn't sound right outside your window, you roll over and go back to sleep. In these parts we don't hear many shots in the dark. To hear one would be a cause for concern. Where did that come from? Is a madman with a gun on the way to our home next? If we heard a shot at night followed by a bone-chilling scream, then we might arm ourselves, call the authorities, and forget about sleep for the remainder of the night. We do at times take a 'shot in the dark' in a manner of speaking.

I have felt the pain of that shot many times. Sleep is suddenly stolen away by a thought of anxiety as the evil one 'shoots' me with one of his faith-stealing bolts. At night, I do not sleep unguarded by the angels of the Lord, but some shots are allowed through my guard and my armor. The Lord may be testing me, or I may allow the bolt to strike me by reaching for it. The flesh is full of worries and fears. As if the evil one were not enemy enough, our flesh will awaken us with nightmares and thoughts of dread. The temptations that arise in the flesh during the waking hours are not the only battleground we face each day. So many things that we should leave with God, such as those anxious worries for the future, are paraded past our quivering minds during the hours of darkness. There is a power behind those anxious thoughts, whether it is our own mind of flesh or the Adversary's minions. Want to cause some confusion to both parties? Think the name, "Jesus".

Start your call with a simple name. It is amazing to me how powerful the name of Jesus is when my thoughts are running to and fro from one anxiety to this worry and to that fear. With that in mind, I also wonder why I don't say it sooner and more often. There is indeed a perverseness in me that enjoys the horror show for a while at night. This lack of trust in God gives way only after I cause myself unnecessary suffering. Say the name of Jesus quickly and say it sooner. Learn to pray at the start of worry. Trust in God in the darkness of the night. Begin the night's sleep with a prayer for guarding and guiding. Trust and have faith, o ye of the trembling fear!

Bucky

No comments: