Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Some Things Are Too Big

Good morning on the 'What day is it?' edition of our devotional. Fortunately, the realtor called yesterday and gave me a countdown to doomsday. In the anxiety and worry department, we can imagine a great many events that never happen. We can pile on the 'what if's' until we feel the paralysis of fear taking over life and happiness. Some things are just too big for us. We are commanded to give them over to God, but we like to entertain thoughts of fear and daydreams of tragedy like the unwanted mongrel that keeps eating at our back door. Of course, those with a little compassionate distance would tell us to stop feeding the mongrel and it will go away. Worry over something we cannot control is a way to feed the fear and keep it coming back for more good eats. What that fear is eating is our happiness, our thought life, even our physical life if kept around too long. We must give over the fear to Jesus.

When I think of how little I actually control in this world, it becomes clear that I need someone much bigger and more powerful than I am. Might as well throw in, more knowledgeable, ever present, and aware of the future too. In fact, it wouldn't hurt if this big, powerful being loved me, cared for me, and died to save me from my sins also. Hmm, kind of sounds like someone we know. Giving up our fears to God gives us the ability to serve Him in the way He has designed us to serve. God can help someone paralysed by fear, but He cannot get much use out of a person so stuck in fear and worry that no action can take place. Imagine trying to help out at the church while cowering under your bed covers in fear. Nope, wouldn't work very well. Gotta put that faith into action!

Bucky

No comments: