Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Didn't He Already Do That?

The sun is no respecter of sleeping in at this time of the year. Daylight begins mighty early in the day around these parts, but it could be much worse. Up north, not Nebraska north, but really north like the Yukon or Alaska, the sun does not set during this season. In the dark of winter, we might pray that the sun will rise tomorrow. However, the question then comes, didn't God already design that rising of the sun, or the turning of the earth if you must, into the system? The sky may be obscured by clouds, but the sun does rise each day. In the same way, we ask that God make us what He would have us to be. Didn't He already do that?

We recognize our imperfections in many areas. Procrastinators take longer to get around to listing their imperfections. The overzealous will list too many. The timid won't ask others to help with the list. The incompetent will list the wrong imperfections, and the low in self-esteem may be afraid to make a list at all. However, all of those imperfections that we each list on our master list of things to improve are a part of what God designed you and me to be. How can I reach out to a procrastinator if I don't know what it is like to put something off that needs to be done? If you have overcome in the strength of the Holy Spirit the same problem that plagues me, then you can offer both understanding and useful suggestions. We like to hear the wisdom of those who have walked the mile in our shoes. Look at your imperfections and realize that God has designed them to help you to help others.

There is yet another reason for my imperfections. God wants me to bring them to Him. As in imperfect sinner, I cannot save or solve my self. I need the grace that comes by faith in Christ Jesus, and I need the wisdom I can only receive from the designer of me. God holds the owner's manual to me. Through science, experience, and self examination, we seek to write the manual to ourselves, but God already knows me down to the tiniest sub-atomic particle. In many ways, I have sought to redesign myself, but I proceed without complete information. We need God to do any redesign work that needs to be done as a part of our sanctification. Does He allow us a part in it? Sure, but some of the things we seek to 'improve' in ourselves have been designed by God for His purpose. We may want to check in with our Lord before we change the design.

In Christ,
Bucky

No comments: