Saturday, July 09, 2011

A Sticker to Remind Us - July 9, 2011

Good Saturday morning! Hmm, I was just wondering if the wheat harvest had started yet. I suppose I had better go get my mail and see what the papers say. Ah, July: the month where summer gets going with a blast of heat. The days are long and the nights short. By 0700 a person must be cognizant of the sun and its effects. Mornings are warm and evenings warmer still, and just forget about mid-afternoon. And, the month where the blood-sucking mosquitoes finally have the numbers to seriously threaten both man and beast. If not a threat to life and limb, they certainly are a threat to comfort and sanity.

The little things we suffer in this life are not the way things are supposed to be. Once upon a time: the beasts and birds and fish didn't eat each other. A couple of people living in a garden didn't eat flesh or flee from lions. Serpents didn't have a venomous bite, but one had venom on his tongue. We know quite well that things changed when Adam and Eve were tossed from Eden. We look around us now and beasts bite, scratch, and claw. Serpent bites can be life threatening, even when they don't talk to us, and any number of plants are toxic to eat or touch. We just don't live in a garden these days. If you tend to your garden, you also know that thorns really like to grow. As with the mosquitoes, we wage a constant physical and chemical war on these things. In so many ways, the earth doesn't seem to like us anymore.

I don't have much of a flower garden, but every time I go out to wage war on the weeds, I notice that God wasn't kidding Adam about the thorns. Many of the weeds have some sort of sharp pointy part to stick an guarded hand or finger. Getting stuck may hurt, but I like to think of it as a reminder that Genesis is for real and the Bible is the truth. I might blurt out a caustic comment first, but I am still reminded.

Praise the name of Jesus: the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Bucky

No comments: