Thursday, July 14, 2011

Open Wide! - July 14, 2011

Good Thursday morning! Time to practice cooling the house off as best I can. Them nasty ol' weathermen are predicting some awful temperatures starting about Sunday. I guess I can't complain too much, a hefty portion of the country has been suffering triple digit temps for a few days now; we have had it easy up here on the high plains. The big fan is going. Kinda' sounds like an airplane is warming up in my house. Good thing I don't have to speak to the computer to write the devotional.

A verse in a psalm I read this morning during breakfast caught my attention. "Open your mouth wide and I will fill it with good things." God said this to the Israelites, but I like it. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is a lot of good things to eat. But I can also see another meaning in this: God will give them good things to say. If you have ever watched the young children in their first plays you will notice that one of the things the director will often tell the children during rehearsals is to open their mouths wide. If you can recall back to those days of your own, you may remember the teacher or director pantomiming the wide open mouth thing in front of you while the play was going on. In another context, she would have looked quite silly doing that, but the little actors knew what she was referring to. In the same way, we are called to open our mouths wide to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Now you may open your mouth so to speak by: writing, singing, speaking, preaching, doing simple favors for a neighbor, driving the Senior Handi-bus, volunteering at the Food Bank, or just by living a good example. Whatever method God has put in your heart, open your mouth wide and share the good things God has filled your mouth with. Opening our mouths wide for Christ is called our witness. Opening the mouth wide to gossip is of course called your wit-less. Yuk, yuk... I'll work on the humor stuff.

Have a peaceful day in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: