Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Just Watchin' the Fruit - May 3, 2011

Good Tuesday morning! The morning after the big day; now I'm just older. The celebrations and hurrahs are done for the year. I had better grab my cane and oatmeal. Has anyone seen the cat? Do I have one cat or just two? This underwear has two holes in it; which one does my head go in? Of course old age is all funny until they find you having a political discussion with a street lamp one day. In my defense the street lamp would have made a better senator in many states; unfortunately he was made in China and was thrown off the party platform.

So, my birthday was so important that our President had to stage a raid on bin Laden's home to upstage my special day. Well, I'll take it. We have waited for almost a decade to have the man behind 9/11 brought to justice, and now he can join those waiting for the Lord's judgment. Why not rush to some judgment of my own? The fruits of this man's life certainly seem to be that of an enemy of Christ, but still, only God can see into his heart. An enemy has fallen, and now we ask that God have mercy on his soul. Does that seem a little different from what the world is saying today? Yes indeed.

bin Laden's supporters would call me various names for even having the gall to ask for mercy on a martyr, but my definition of a martyr seems to be a bit different from theirs. Jesus died on the cross, and Stephen died at the hands of those same people a little later. Neither man took up arms or planned an attack on some folks just going to work for the day. And of course, we believe that every one of us is a sinner in need of God's mercy. So when we ask that God have mercy on a fallen enemy, we make no claim to any self-righteousness. Might one of us be caught saying, "I need your mercy, Lord, and that guy really needs your mercy!" Yes, I might have been caught in that myself. I'll just claim to be a fruit inspector, and not a judge.

Does the rising sun look a little brighter today with one less enemy in the world? It may, it just may. Have a great day in Christ! Pray for our enemies as well as our friends.

God's grace and peace to you on this day, Bucky

No comments: