Friday, May 31, 2024

The Burden Of Drebb

David said to him, “If you go on with me, then you will become a burden to me. 2 Samuel 15:33

The Story
The building where I was to start my new job turned out to be one of those multiple office buildings with a common receptionist. With only a time and place to present myself, I stopped at the front desk.

"Morning, I'm Drebb."

"I'm so sorry for you," she stated with practiced concern, "the therapist has an appointment slot available in 20 minutes."

"Uh, no, I'm here to start my new job," I told her, "I need the office of the comptroller, I think."

She proceeded to tell me what the comptroller did and that no assistance with my condition could be had there, in fact her concern was that the functions of that office might even cause a decline in my mental health. Fortunately, I saw the building directory cunningly placed far off to the side where most folks would not think to look. On the third floor, just off the elevator, I found the main entrance to the Office of the Comptroller stated in understated gold lettering. I approached the receptionist for the office, a fine sharp looking young man, or so I thought until,

"Good morning, I'm Drebb."

"I'm so sorry, the receptionist at the main entrance can set up an appointment to get you help with that, sir."

Ach! Here we go again, I thought, wondering for the hundredth time what it might take to change my name to John, Jack, or something common like that.

The Message
We all have burdens to bear in this life. David told some guy who came to him that he would be the burden if he went on with him. Being a burden to our leader is not generally something we set out to do in life. Whether you have a burden or are the burden, Jesus gave to all a wonderful invitation: Come to Me!

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Bucky

No comments: