Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Behold, A Mystery!

...the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.  John 14:17

Jesus our Lord gave to the disciples and us at Pentecost this great gift of His Spirit. In verse 14:6 of John's gospel, with which we are quite familiar, Jesus says that He is the truth. Therefore the Spirit of truth He gives to us is His own Spirit. The world is left out of this as it will insist on what it can see. We come to know this Spirit because Jesus tells us this great mystery: the Spirit of truth dwells with us and will be in us. We understand that the disciples listening there to our Lord did not have the indwelling Spirit of truth at this time but would receive Him at Pentecost. When did you and I receive the Spirit of truth? I cannot point out to you the exact moment as those disciples in the upper room could back in their day, but the Word of God came alive to me as I read it and sermons became not battles against the minister but battles against those fiery darts Paul writes of in Ephesians. And of course I went from a basically decent and good guy in my sight, to more of what the Spirit saw in me when He came to set up housekeeping. A picture of a hoarder house comes to mind when I think of our Lord's Spirit of truth coming to dwell in me. Praise God that the Spirit did not show to me all of my vileness at once! 

Paul trusted that He who had begun the good work in him would never stop until the work was done, and so do I trust in the Lord's Spirit of truth. 

Love in Christ Jesus to you,

Bucky

No comments: