Thursday, November 26, 2020

A Devotion of Thanksgiving

Why do You stand afar off, O Lord?
Why do You hide in times of trouble?  Psalm 10:1

A security alert on the BLB web site this morning, and so I will type in the verse for today from a copy of the Bible in my possession that gets little consideration. The cover through simple human error is on upside down, and so it sits on my shelf unused most of the time. However, the cover is not the Bible, the words of our Lord are the Bible.

Today is our annual feast of thanksgiving to the Lord our God. We do this in 2020 in a time of trouble. Many of us will dine alone with the Lord, who would not usually do so on Thanksgiving. Our brother in Christ gave a sermon Sunday in which he employed the word dichotomy several times. Here is another one for us: how can we dine with the Lord in giving Him thanks this day and yet not dine with Him? Paul said in Philippians 4 that the Lord is at hand, be anxious for nothing. Yet, when I reach out my hands to both sides, no Lord! But He is with us always, the word of the Lord says so in Hebrews and at the end of Matthew. If the Lord were here constantly, then all our talk of the good news of the Second Coming is just plain silly. The disciples saw the Lord Jesus ascend from the Mount of Olives and the angels promised He would return one day in the same manner. So, if this has not happened yet, how can He be here with me as I dine? And yet I know in my heart that He has never left me or forsaken me, just as He said in His word! We live this dichotomy all the time; being unable to reach out and grasp His divine hand, and yet able to speak with Him and know His presence in our heart. 

Thank You, dear Lord Jesus, for the wonder of knowing and being with You always! 

Bucky

No comments: