Thursday, July 09, 2020

Growing Down?

Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.  Ephesians 3:17

As we often associate the direction of down with Hades or Hell, we do not like to think of growing down. And yet as a nation or person, the Bible at times uses a tree as a metaphor and without strong roots that tree will be doomed. Trees as we have seen through careful observation in this life do not often do well floating about in midair. A tree needs the soil of the earth to anchor itself and to grow and thrive. So, if the scripture uses the soil as God's love, how much more do we as the tree need to grow down roots deep into that love? Do you feel that you are there yet?

This question comes up because I do not think or feel that I have as good a grip on God's love as I would like. This feeling must come from God's prompting in His Spirit, because without the Lord I would have no knowledge that I am missing out on something. This also cannot be any shortcoming of God's love, for Jesus the Son showed the greatest love on the cross at Calvary! If trusting in God is the way to grow deeper roots down into His great love, then that is what I must do. And as is the case with all things good, it isn't my work that gets the thing rolling: the verse begins with Christ making His home in my heart first. 

As always, the first and best glory goes to Jesus my Lord! 

Bucky

No comments: