Monday, November 26, 2018

The Word Lives!

And He said to them, “To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables." Mark 4:11

Recently, Mike and I have listened to persons in the office speak of reading the Bible, but not wanting to hear more about Jesus the Christ. "Oh, I've read the Bible," they will tell us by way of ending the conversation, if that were possible, but it appears obvious to us that the word does not live in them. We know this because at some point in our lives the word came alive in us as it never had before.

My witness in this is that in my youth I heard the Bible in church from about as early an age as a person can. Sunday school, after school activities, quiz teams, and Wednesday night prayer meetings would all follow in their time. I read through the Bible in a year and listened to it in classes. I knew the Word intellectually long before it came alive to me in my heart. Many Christ-ones who were raised in the church have experienced this same sort of thing.

There is something in us that does not fall before Sunday School, cannot be overcome with a sermon, and stands firm against all manner of religious activity. However, once the Lord sends His Holy Spirit into our heart, then the Word comes alive to us as never before. Sermons, Bible studies, and spiritual songs can all help to open the door a crack, but it is the Spirit of God who does the enlightening work bringing the Word to life in that dormant heart of ours. Somehow along that way, we began to see when the Word was alive or simply a bit of intellectual knowledge in a person. Not my doing, must be His.

God's love and grace to you, and a very Merry Christmas too!

Bucky

No comments: