Thursday, October 25, 2018

Neither Stingy in Accepting nor Giving

For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward. Mark 9:41

The words of our Lord Jesus make me glad this morning. In the past many years since I have come to know Christ more, I have not always been in a position to command my destiny with the massive wealth of my bank accounts or been able to call in offshore holdings to supplement a shortfall. If you have noticed the biblical mastery of understatement, what I'm trying to do is the opposite - absurd exaggeration. Like most of us, those offshore banks don't want to deal with people of my financial standing. And like some of you, if my accounts are above zero then I'm doing well today. As such, I have accepted charity these past few years and I have known the feeling of not being able to pay back or pay forward these gifts. My Lord Jesus with His words sets my mind at ease with that great promise, "I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward."

But, but, learning from the Lord to accept charity and gifts goes against my pride. Why, yes, it does! And what could be better for us in Christ than less pride in ourselves while allowing others to show their love for us? Great is the Lord in that all things do indeed work toward our improvement in Him and through Him.

And then, be ready, for your or my time of giving may soon come 'round again. Trust in the Lord and don't be stingy, dear believer, when it is our turn to give.

Love in Christ to you on this day,
Bucky

No comments: