Friday, October 06, 2017

Searching For Joy

So there was great joy in Jerusalem, for since the time of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel, there had been nothing like this in Jerusalem. 2 Chronicles 30:26

Happiness runs and hides from tough circumstances but joy is a more constant companion. I eagerly await my showers of joy from the Lord!

Hmm, I don't feel any showering. Maybe that is my problem. It may be that I have fallen into the trap of this generation in expecting everything to be handed to them with no work involved? In Turning Point today, Pastor David Jeremiah wrote about a man's search through the scriptures for all instances of joy (and cheer, gladness, happiness, blessed, and hopeful). Of course I rejoiced that all that he found would be quickly and easily handed to me. Uh, no, it was the search that caught my eye. A quest may be what the Lord desires of me for my development in His kingdom.

A word search is simple thanks to the Blue Letter Bible web site, or for the old-fashioned folks a copy of Strong's concordance, but what about the context of these instances of joy? That is where Bible study will come in with prayer to align myself with God's guiding Holy Spirit. A quest for joy in the Bible is a noble effort, one sure to produce rich rewards and a changed life. And we could surely use some joy in this dark age.

For example in the verse for today we find a joy that had not happened in quite some time. So long that the writer made note of it for future generations to read and study. If the joy of the Lord has left you and me for a long time, perhaps it is time for us to quest for His words of joy in the Bible and find something that hasn't happened since way back in the day.

May God work in us to work in Him on this great day!

Bucky

No comments: