Thursday, August 24, 2017

I Said: Woe Is Me!

So I said:
​
​​“Woe is me, for I am undone!
​​Because I am a man of unclean lips,
... And he touched my mouth with it, and said:
​
​​“Behold, this has touched your lips;
​​Your iniquity is taken away,
​​And your sin purged.”  Isaiah 6:5&7 

In our scripture for this morning, we have a comparison of what a man, Isaiah, said and what the messenger of God said. Isaiah is acknowledged as perhaps the greatest of the Old Testament prophets. Yet, at his calling, he says, "Woe is me." After the Lord's seraph torches his lips with a hot coal, Isaiah does not disagree with the message he is given. We, on the other hand, might have a tendency from the flesh to say that coal thing was too easy; that somehow Isaiah didn't earn his salvation enough.

Many of us have struggled throughout this life with a feeling of unworthiness. This is a problem of the flesh and this world. Yes, we are born sinners and in need of salvation, but once we believe then we need to reach out and grab up all of those things God says about us. One of the big ones is that unworthiness thing. Jesus, the Son of God, went to the cross and died in our place. That alone puts a worthy seal on us that cannot be removed by any amount of moping about over our supposed unworthiness. Don't insult God that way! When He says that we are made righteous by that most precious blood of His Son, then righteous we are, and there is great worth in righteousness.

In the world, you and I have this problem of saying, "Woe is me!" In Christ, we have this good news: "Your iniquity is taken away and your sin purged!" Great is His name who can make such unworthy sinners into such worthy saints.

Have a saintly day in Jesus,
Bucky

No comments: