Monday, July 18, 2016

What Tomorrow May Bring

At least once each summer I will get up in the night to let a cool breeze in and instead let in the humidity. That night this year was last night. Hooray for me. The big ladder is back for another round of gutter cleaning and Saturday was a cool morning. I even planned Friday night to get up early and go to it. When I felt a pain in my neck and back from the furniture moving this past week, I knew that my plans had been disposed of once more. The day brings what God wills, and no planning of my own will stop God's sovereign will. Praise the Lord for that!

Sometimes my plans are procrastinated away, that is my fault. But other times my plans simply are not in line with what God has in store for me on that day. I won't know this until the day arrives, but I have been warned in God's word.

A man's heart plans his way,
But the LORD directs his steps. (Proverbs 16:9)

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. (James 4:13-16)

Like those planners of James' time, I don't know what tomorrow will bring it seems. Some days the Lord's will I discover through experimentation, other days I find it in His word or in prayer. On many an evening I do not know what tomorrow may bring, but He does. Dear Lord, may we all do your will on this day! Amen.

Bucky

No comments: