Thursday, July 07, 2016

Fallen Short

Do the two major party candidates for President of the United States fall short of your ideal this year? That is probably an easy one for you to answer this morning, whether in the negative or positive. How about your neighbors, do they fall short of your ideal neighborly neighbor? Here is one then: How about yourself, have you lived up to your ideal yet? My ideal seems to be like that carrot out in front of me on the stick and string - something I just can't quite reach and continually come up short in attaining. Great reward and contentment will be mine, if I can just reach that ideal out there!

Well, saving myself through perfection before the Law, or even my ideal law, has never worked for me, and I can see that I am fallen far short of God's ideal. However, I do see one example of the perfect life lived without sin and selfishness, and in complete love for others. I see a man who did not fall to temptation even in the most extreme of circumstances, did not take an easy way out when love of His fellow humans was on the line, and always honored and glorified the Father. So, if I have faith that all of this is true, why do I sometimes harbor doubts that He will complete the good work He began in me at salvation?

It's true, I have caught myself doubting the progress Jesus has made in me that he may one day present me before His Father as a finished work of the sanctifying art. Why? If faith says that He lived and died for me, and lived again, why do I doubt the other promises? As always, it is because I look at me and not to Him. His patience is far superior to my patience; and His love is the greater love. His vision of today, tomorrow, and the great and awesome day of the Lord is perfect, while mine is as Paul says - cloudy, as in a poor mirror. Well put that poor mirror down and pick up the shield of faith once more! Is it any wonder that Paul did not include a pocket mirror in the full armor of the Lord? Let us look outward to our Lord and Savior, and of course trust completely in His work in us.

Have a faithful day in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: