Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Should We Forgive an 'If'?

This morning as I returned home for breakfast from the weekly Bible study, I wondered about an old friend from the distant past. I had the sneaking sense that he might possibly have pulled a fast one on me back in the day. If he did this transgression against me, should I forgive him that 'if'? Even if he never confessed it and probably never will? Of course I should!

While I would not confront this person, should we ever meet again that is, with such an unfounded accusation, I can certainly forgive the 'if' and free myself of the burden by giving it up to Christ. Forgiveness is curative and preventative medicine good for the transgressions and the 'maybe' transgressions that would ail us. Certainly I don't want to carry an iffy burden around for another 20 or 30 years, that would hurt only me. Transgressions against us that are doubtful in any case we might want to forgive all the sooner lest something defiling slip from the heart and into the voice and out of the mouth. Real transgressions may be more difficult and require extra forgiving effort.

Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." (Matt 18:22)

A real transgression may require those 490 times all in one day, and then a bit less on the next day, and so on for the remainder of our earthly lives. A transgression that is only suspected we should be able to forgive out of our system with a few less tries, but may well be just as important to forgive as soon as that sneaky accusing feeling begins. We don't want to find ourselves in the accusation camp; we know who leads that rabble!

Have a forgiving day in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: