Monday, March 28, 2016

He Died, But He Ain't Dead!

In faith we deal with an odd situation: our Lord Jesus died, but He is not among the dead. "So, where is He then?" Many of our friends and acquaintances in the world might ask of us. That is the working of faith in us. I cannot reach out right now and grab the arm of Jesus to introduce Him to those who do not yet believe. Other friends I know by name, I can locate them here in town, over in Sidney, at the other end of Nebraska, on the East Coast, etc, and introduce them physically to those who may not believe they exist except in my imagination. I can prove to them this person does exist. With my Lord Jesus, I must use faith.

This does make the resurrection a bit more difficult. Why do we celebrate the Risen Lord with a day we call Easter? Because He lives! No, I cannot point with my finger to His risen body, but I can point out eyewitness accounts from back in the day. Conversations our Risen Lord had with doubting disciples are recorded for me to read and to share. So many witnesses saw and spoke with our formerly dead Lord Jesus that historians record their stories and ponder them. Those who refuse to believe ponder how people can be so foolish; those who believe in Him ponder what it was like to see and talk with the Risen Lord and wish they could be there.

You will not find it strange that we face the very same choice: Believe and all of God's beautiful Word comes alive. Refuse to believe in Christ, and the word of God is just another historical and dead document. Faith separates us from the world, and God's great love enables us to endure to the end. Yes, He died, but He ain't dead!

Have a great Easter week!
Bucky

No comments: