Monday, May 06, 2013

My Salvation Was So Boring

Good Monday morning! Last night, a bit late I'll admit, I finished my second reading of Frank E. Peretti's two darkness novels. I like to reread books sometimes and these are good enough for a second viewing. Near the end of the second novel, Piercing The Darkness, a woman gets saved with one of those glorious experiences that we hear about, maybe not quite so much as this fictional account, but nevertheless a very moving experience. The problem is that by comparison my salvation was so boring. I didn't experience trumpets, get to feel the wood of the cross, or see Christ in person, was my salvation real?

You and I have asked that question at times, but the problem with a very grand experience in a book or a movie is that it is in a book or movie. Each gift of salvation that comes with our repentance and acknowledgment of Christ as our Lord is personal. It's between me and Jesus, or between you and Jesus, but not all of our experiences must be the same. And who says that either of our salvations was boring? Look in the Gospels, read what Jesus endured for you and for me, do those accounts seem boring? I think not. Did Jesus fall asleep during the trial? Kinda hard to do that when someone is smacking you around. Did the disciples groan and seek entertainment elsewhere? Nope, they fled in terror, not exactly a boring experience. Did those who loved Jesus yawn and go home to bed? Hardly, I suspect many of them found each other in the darkness and trembled in fear. We may never know all that Jesus endured for us, but boredom was not part of it. If my salvation seems boring, then I'm not looking at my Savior, the one who did all the saving.

Rejoice in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!
Bucky

No comments: