Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Time Each Day

Good Tuesday morning! I like the white shingles they used on the roofs up the street today. The funny thing is that I don't recall them being white the day the roofers did the job. Yes, we have the morning frost today. Colder temps expected tomorrow as well. The house has pretty much shed any residual summer heat too, and, oh brother, does it ever feel like it this morning! I noticed yesterday that trying to warm myself with hot liquids such as coffee and tea holds one major inconvenience. But at least all those quick trips serve a warming function. I wonder if the heat going in is greater than the heat going out so to speak. It might be easier just to turn on the furnace. Heh, heh, this is the time of my resistance, but sooner or later I will have to warm up the house or go into hibernation. So far the hibernation thing hasn't worked out for me though. I wake up each morning hungry, or I'm woken up by something hungry, and the day begins. But what opportunities would I miss by hibernating through a day?

One opportunity for growth in the Spirit is in spending time with God and His Word every day. We have all been reminded that we need personal time devoted to God each day, but so often we forget or let it get pushed aside by something else. "I'll get to it later" often turns into "I won't forget tomorrow, I promise!" Suddenly the old fears and worries have taken over once more and we find ourselves incapable of putting action to our faith. Believe me that I am reminding myself as I write this; it isn't just about those of you out there who find yourselves in that very situation. Our time with God must start in the home and we must be faithful about it!

The time we spend in Bible study with a church leader, the times we gather together in our study or life groups, and that time each week we spend listening to a professional pastor, all help us grow in our walk with Jesus. However, once or twice a week does not do it for us like a faithful time every day. The world has a big claim on our time. Through work or school or sleep we spend a lot of time not talking with or listening to our Father in Heaven. We need a close personal relationship with our God and we need it now! Sorry, but let us remind each other one more time - spend time each day meditating on God's Word and in prayer alone in your 'closet' with the door shut.

Reminding each other about God is a good and faithful thing for us to do! Have a great day in Christ Jesus,


Bucky

No comments: