Saturday, June 11, 2011

Fearful - June 11, 2011

Good Saturday morning! Gold Rush Days runs all day today in town, except at my house where there is, alas, no gold to rush to. I did the hard work later in the evening yesterday, so I am not exactly off like a shot this morning. Freep! The sprinkler zone changes are making some hideous booming noises downstairs. What is up with that? I have fifteen minutes to investigate before the next change. Writing on a deadline again. Just when I thought that I was free of that too. Awful noises in the home sound expensive to the homeowner though. Gotta think that it's something simple and trust in Jesus.

It is interesting that one of the devotionals I read each morning features the story of Jesus sleeping in the boat while the frantic disciples are thinking cheerful thoughts like: death, drowning, swamping, and swimming through high waves. As you know, Jesus wakes up and says, "Why are you so fearful?" How often have you or I looked at the storm, thought that God must be asleep, and looked back at the storm? Pretty much every time the storm comes up I think. Now that I am thinking of Jesus, I believe I know the solution to the awful noises too. I have forgotten to shut off the hose that I used last night to clean out the pond. Time to run out and do what I should have done last night. Those things happen when I put off the hard stuff until later in the day. Don't fear that water ran all over last night, the hose has a nozzle on the end that shuts off the water, but when the sprinklers start up with the hose still under pressure, the noises are truly alarming down below. I'm sure now that I forgot to shut off the valve the second time last night. Ah well, way to create my own storm.

We do that often as well. The storm may not come up as a thunderstorm does, but is raised up by our own actions or inaction. In either case, Jesus would say the same thing, "Why are you so fearful?" We can and will make mistakes in this life; but when a life is given to God, He does not refuse to take charge of it. I don't know about you, but it is hard to think that I may have been guided into a mistake. Can that be true? The Bible, God's word, does say that He will direct our steps. Does that include the times we step in it so to speak? I think so. We don't blame God for the mistakes we make, but we can rest without fear that He knows how to guide us back out the other side. Now, while you ponder that, I'm going to go outside and fix my mistake from last night.

Have a great Saturday!

Bucky

No comments: