Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday 2011 - April 22, 2011

A Great Good Friday to you! Spring has arrived at last! How do I know this? Our first big boomer of a thunderstorm arrived at bedtime last night. Much more of that and I might have to keep some regular coffee around to help me wake up for the devotional. Yawn, woof, I think the sun got up extra early this morning. Good Friday always seems like a day when we should be sad, after all our savior died on this day. When I remember what and who Jesus died for, I cannot help but celebrate! God loved us so much that he sent his very Son to die in my place on the cross. The punishment I, and you, and your friends, and everyone we know, and even all of those we don't know, was taken by the Son of God upon himself and then the sacrifice was accepted by God. On Sunday the celebration really kicks in as we celebrate the resurrection of our Savior and Lord. We are freed from the penalty of sin!

Today, I volunteered to be a part of the prayer vigil at the church. This seems like a small thing, just half an hour of prayer in the church library. Yet, the needs that I have thought of are very large. Any of us can pray over national problems such as greed, lying, abortion, and idolatry. Or we can pray about the same things just in our little town. We also have marriage problems very close to home; drug arrests and trials that seem almost nonstop here in our own county; and a whole lot of folks seeking to relieve the stress in the wrong ways. I think that 'me' will be off limits in the prayer vigil today. I don't mean that I have somehow become perfect and sinless, or that I don't have needs that could use a little prayer. No, I mean that for this half hour of prayer at the church, I'll put the other needs ahead of myself and spend the time with God in bringing those other needs before the one who has the answers. The interesting thing is that alone will fulfill one of my needs - the answers that I don't have when I hear about all the problems and sin going on around me.

Before I came to believe in Jesus, I would often make suggestions for all the world's problems. You know the scene; the friends and I would sit around over our favorite drinks and eats making the "they should..." suggestions for problems of all types. Many of those problems, especially the local gossipy ones, were none of our business, but that never stopped us. One of the things that Jesus has taught me is that I don't have the answers, but that I can bring those problems in prayer to the One who does. That realization we get is only a part of the process where the Spirit brings witness of Jesus and helps us to replace King Me on the throne of our lives with the King of kings. That old King Me or King Self, whatever you want to call him or her, never did accomplish much with all of those idle suggestions. However, the Bible reminds us that the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. I believe prayer is even more effective when we take a little time and pray for other needs ahead of our own.

Enjoy the Good Friday, and have a blessed Easter weekend!

Bucky

No comments: