Friday, April 09, 2010

Endurance or Perseverance - April 9, 2010

Good Friday morning! We are called to both endure and to persevere in this world. Just what does this mean? Some of us, back in the day, didn't go to the dentist as regularly as we should have. I think I skipped like, oh, 10 years or so one time. That first cleaning was something I had to endure, and I deserved every minute of it. Learning my lesson, I did my best to brush and floss daily, and kept my appointments every 6 months from then on; that's perseverance.

Jesus provided a stronger example of this when he endured the beatings, flogging, abuse, and death on the cross. Jesus also persevered in teaching the disciples about his death and resurrection. We read several times where Jesus told them quite plainly what was going to happen to him in Jerusalem. However, the disciples refused to "get it" until after it happened. Jesus did not stop teaching them and he does not stop teaching us. Sometimes I wonder what I don't "get" that I should?

We endure many sufferings in this life, from small passing pains to the long term degeneration of our bodies. We may also be called to suffer persecution, both emotional and physical. However, Jesus is returning soon! We get that intellectually, but do we get it in our hearts? The sun rises this morning over the neighbor's house; what if Jesus suddenly appeared? I'm thinking that like the disciples, I don't truly get that word, soon.

We need to live every day for God, and every day as though Jesus is scheduled to arrive...now!

Living in that manner is not easy. I don't think that God would have us stand there looking at the sky going, "here he comes... right now. No, it's right now! ...Alright, now!" We have much to do before the last day of our life on the earth before Jesus returns. God is patient with those who do not yet believe, and we have work to do. We need to persevere in our work for Jesus.

Right now we are staring down the barrel of tax time, April 15. Wouldn't it be great if Jesus came before then? Sometimes we are very much ready for Jesus to return today; like on a day we are quite sick for example. The flu is always a good reminder of how much we want Jesus to return on the day we are ready for Him. Looking skyward, we fervently groan out, "today would be just fine with me, Lord!" We know very well that God's schedule is not set up just for each of us, but there are those days...

A couple of prophets waited for years to see the birth of Christ. I imagine that day after day they expected to see the Christ child come in the door of the temple. One day, perhaps after many sick days or hot days, cold days or wonderful days, Jesus did arrive for them. God will deliver us in his own perfect time.

Thank you, Lord, for the new day we have in you!

Bucky

No comments: