Monday, April 19, 2010

April Showers - April 19, 2010

Good Monday morning! The sound of rain on the roof and thunder in the air awakened us this morning. I took the weekend off due to the announcement that Dave Kellett would no longer publish a Sunday morning Sheldon strip. Actually, that's not the reason that I didn't write this weekend. I did however get my yard fertilized and some other running around done. One neighbor went camping, another got their camper out and parked in the street, and still others were seen doing some yarkwork this weekend. Um, 'yarkwork'? I mean yard work, of course. The signs of spring have arrived this weekend!

60 Minutes had a great show last night. Does it disturb you that a con man can be caught in the act and still be unrepentant? I had to wonder last night, why I ever thought that the Bible would be wrong in saying that we would be glad to see justice done at the end. Jesus is right to send out messages calling us to personal integrity; in many that quality does not exist today. At the end, when judgement comes down from the throne of God, there will those who do not repent of their sins. The Bible speaks of wailing and gnashing of teeth; we will see their hatred of God laid bare for all to see.

We like to wonder how anyone could hate each of us. You and I try to follow the commandments of Jesus and do good works. How could someone hate us to the end? I think that we fail to understand the strength of hate. Jesus didn't say the world would not like us or would prefer to be in a different room from his followers; He used the word "hate". In the world of today, this is more likely to be a seething, scheming, and plotting hate. The Holy Spirit is still in the world speaking to the hearts of all people. At the end, when all is revealed, this hate will be overwhelming and unrestrained.

We tend to think that when faced with eternal judgment that all will bow their heads and feel sorry for what they did in this life. Of course we would be sad to see a repentant person go to Hell. However, imagine that as God passes judgment at the end, the person consumed with hatred instead goes mad, trying to bite and claw at God in their rage. I don't think we understand hatred yet.

Trying to dive into a study of hatred is not my intent; I think that learning more about the love of Jesus is a better goal. Perhaps the rainy, stormy morning has me thinking deep thoughts. We do need the rain though! Even on a cloudy, wet morning we can celebrate the love of our Lord.

Have a great Monday in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: