Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Measuring Patience - June 7, 2009

Good Tuesday morning! This morning I tried to compare my patience with that of Jesus. Of course, my own patience didn't measure up. While I might have trouble waiting an hour or two for someone to arrive in "just a little while", Jesus waited two days for Lazerus' death and then made the journey. Jesus also waited on God in the wilderness after his temptations for many days. Jesus showed patience and forbearance with his disciples many times, while I have often been impatient with persons. When we compare ourselves to Jesus, we usually don't look so good. Actually, we look like sinners in need of a savior.

I wonder though about future generations. If we have so much trouble waiting hours and days in our time, how bad will it be with the Internet and satellite services delivering media in seconds? If I can see the difference, how much more obvious is it to those who grew up without air freight and electronic communications? We don't wait very well these days; and one thing we are often told is to wait on the Lord. This has a twofold meaning. One, we present our requests to the Lord, and then we wait in contentment, not in complaining. Two, we wait on the Lord as a waiter might wait on a customer, listening intently and patiently for the word to be given and then doing in faith and obedience. I have noticed that I'm not always very good at either of those things. However, that is in my strength. We know that we need the strength of Jesus to become what God would have us to be. Wait... God will make each of us into his own perfect image in his own perfect time.

Have a blessed day in Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: