Friday, July 03, 2009

Comforting Words - July 3, 2009

Good Friday morning! Oops, Happy Independence Day (observed) according to the calendar. I see a lot of people out and about this morning, even a few at work. Morning is here once more; where do we look for comfort each day? One place is to look to each other, but even those endowed with the joy of Christ can be down on any given day. The Holy Spirit is an inexhaustible source, but if you still need comfort you may not be listening to his comfort. So where do we find comfort in this difficult journey? You might try the Word of God, also known as the Bible.

The last statement in Matthew has Jesus' great words of comfort: "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

The Good Shepherd gives us this assurance in John 10:27-30 "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

Comforting Martha and all believers, Jesus said this in John 11:25-26 "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."

And finally, at least for this morning, we have those great words from our Lord in John 14:1-2 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. My Father's house has plenty of room; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?" I like the King James version of that statement - "In my Father's house are many mansions..." I have heard that said since the earliest days of my youth, and I never tire of hearing it. Jesus left us words of comfort in His holy Word, return to them often.

Enjoy this holiday weekend as we observer our Independence Day!

Bucky

No comments: