Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Walking in the Spirit - May 5, 2009

Good Tuesday morning! This morning, Pastor Rogers' devotional begins with Romans 8:1; now in reading that, why do I get the impression there's a choice in there? I read the part about walking in the spirit, and I must wonder; have I been walking in the spirit?  However the point is, whatever made me think there was a choice involved in the matter?  At some point in the past, I chose to believe in Jesus Christ.  Paul is not writing that I now have a choice between walking in the spirit not walking in the spirit; he is simply stating that I do walk in the Spirit.  A few weeks ago, in our Bible study on Philippians we came to the verse wherein Paul expressed his confidence that God would complete the good work begun in us, correction...the good work that God began in us.  I suppose my answer is: since God is completing his work in me, I do not have a choice whether I will follow after the spirit.  Through the work of the Holy Spirit, I will learn to follow the Spirit. Now there will be times that I follow my lustful desires.  I am still in this world, and that is part of the testing and trials we will endure throughout this life.  However once I chose Jesus - He had already chosen me - the work will be completed in me whether I think I'm following after the Spirit or not. My perceptions and feelings are too mercurial to trust. I wake up feeling good and think "I must be living in the Spirit!"; I wake up feeling a bit rough and think that I must have done something wrong. That is why God takes care of this precious work and doesn't leave it up to our feelings and effort. :-)

Sometimes in reading the Bible verses, we tend to think we have a choice in something where we do not.  It comes back to that old "good enough", as in; am I good enough to follow the spirit?  However, it is not my own work within me, try though I might to improve myself, that will save me and make me holy, rather it is God's work within me that will save me and make me holy.  I am saved by the blood of Jesus Christ and not saved by my own effort. It is interesting to note that if I think I am good enough, I am immediately lost in pride.  Praise God that we are saved in him and not in our own effort.

Trust completely in the love of Jesus! 

Bucky

No comments: