Thursday, December 11, 2008

Trusting Now - December 11, 2008

Good Thursday morning! Some old friends were in town last night and we enjoyed a good dinner. Last night we realized that it was two weeks to Christmas Eve, which makes today two weeks from you know what day! I am one of those who make atheists grind their teeth. I cannot get enough of Christmas. Not Santa Claus and the Grinch, although they are okay, but the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem so many years ago is the reason I celebrate so much at this time of the year. Which reminds me that something is missing from my first book; at the moment I can claim that I just haven't gotten to it yet. What would a story of the Old West be without Christmas? One thing they did not have in 1894 was e-mail ads for Christmas loot. We on the other hand are enduring a virtual storm of ads right now. I am hoping this isn't a sign of desperation from the e-sellers. I have several in the inbox and two more have shown up as I sit here writing. Phew! Enough already.

We have read about trusting and following Jesus in the Bible; I have mentioned trust many times in this devotional; Pastor Birky spoke on obedience in October, and today Pastor Rogers wrote about it again. Why so many messages exhorting us to trust and obey? In times like this, we need it more than ever! As we look at the bad news these days, the message of Christ shines all the brighter in the darkness. One of Pastor Rogers' favorite lines was: "It is getting gloriously dark!" I believe that too. We live in the times right before the tribulation, of that I have no doubt. That does not mean that we should despair as many are doing right now. Instead, trust and follow Jesus, rest in His assurance that each of us will be taken care of in this life and will join Him in the next.

Have a joyous and merry Christmas!

Bucky

No comments: