Monday, December 15, 2008

Cold, but so Warm in Christ! - December 15, 2008

Good Monday morning! Let's not talk about the cold today. Nothing about how the furnace ran all night or the -14° temperature, I won't even mention that I'm wearing a stocking cap... inside the house. A little person could go ice climbing on my windows. Yes, like the proverbial elephant in the room, we won't mention the cold this morning. :-)

Some things occur which are nearly impossible to not discuss. Sooner or later we turn to the latest event to "talk it out". We like to support each other through the tough times. I pray for all of those who must get out into the cold and go to work this morning. No, I did not go out walking this morning. It is much too dangerous to walk in this weather. One slip and a person's body would be frozen before help could arrive. Oops, I wasn't supposed to talk about the cold. What does a person write or talk about when avoiding the major event of the day?

When I ask God what to talk about on mornings when I have no clear message bouncing around in my head, the first answer I get is "talk about me!" In marriage we learn that the partners to their new life together submit as equals. Following the Bible, the woman submits to the man as the head of the household, but not as an inferior. In Christ, we might think as unbelievers that we are submitting as an equal. However, once we believe, the manifest power of God in our lives and all of creation becomes apparent to each of us. We now realize that we did not submit to Christ as an equal, but that He died for us as a servant. Eh, how did that happen? Yes, we submit to the Almighty One, only to realize that He has already served us to the utmost by dying on the cross to save us from our own sin.

Wow, talk about the elephant in the room! Unbelievers get very uncomfortable when confronted with the idea of an all-powerful God coming to earth to serve His own creations. Ya know, it still blows my mind, so to speak, when thinking that God, in human form, died for me. How does one go about repaying the Almighty One for something like that? God already knows that we cannot, but He loves you and I just the same. In fact, we come to realize that He loved us before dying on the cross, else He would never have done such a selfless and courageous act of love. We can circle around it in our discussion, but we will in time come to one very important statement made by Jesus. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life." At Christmas time I like to come back to that central verse of our faith, and remember just why He was born in Bethlehem.

God bless your Christmas!

Bucky

No comments: