Monday, December 22, 2008

A Gift That None can Match - December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas on this December 22! I am still marveling at the volleyball matches this past week as the NCAA championship tournament came to Omaha. The Big 12 conference came out second best all around, but oh what matches they were! Penn State, the juggernaut of college volleyball right now, only lost two sets all year, and guess where that happened! Yes, Nebraska put on an inspired performance in the semifinal match on Thursday night and took Penn State to the fifth set. I had a hard time watching that match, it was just too exciting! What a Christmas present for volleyball fans.

Have you read the articles on executive compensation in America? I read about these incredible salaries and perks, and then pray that some or all of those corporate officers will do the right thing for their companies. However, I also remember that Jesus told us something about that a long time ago. Something about a camel and the eye of a needle. One would of course have to wonder if I, in a similar position, would quickly do the right thing? Should I ever face that test, I pray that the Lord will lead me to pass with flying colors. I haven't always been faithful in the small amounts, that money that we deal with every day.

Does that make it a dark Christmas, careful introspection revealing that I too am in need of redemption? No! Christmas came to Bethlehem with no help from me and it will continue to arrive until Jesus returns. Each of us already knows how badly we are in need of Christ's grace, else we would not have come to Him in repentance. Freed from the guilt and shame of sin we celebrate the arrival of the Messiah on earth and in our hearts. Hallelujah for our Lord Jesus! A Christmas gift that none can match, no matter how much loot they have on this earth. Glory to God in the highest!

A great, huge, and merry Christmas to all of you!

Bucky

No comments: