Friday, December 12, 2008

Advice Resistance - December 12, 2008

Good Friday morning! Only one more Friday before Christmas! Good news on the economic front yesterday. Household debt across the country fell. That might not seem like much, a .8 percent reduction or something like that, but it seems like a good trend to me and one that I will join. Yesterday I also took the advice of Pastor Schuller and made some impossible Christmas requests for God; three for me and three for other people. The only rule to these requests is that they must be impossible for me to fulfill by Christmas. I don't think that any of us will have any trouble with something like that.

Sometimes we look at advice from others and immediately resist. Something about the advice seems selfish, or it sounds too good to be true, or our mind comes up with some other reason to resist. When I began looking into writing, many others when told of my plans were not resistant, quite the opposite in fact. God sent many people to overcome my own resistance. To change from a career field that I have trained in for some 15 years into one that I have no experience in does not seem like a smart move. Praise God that our Lord does not operate according to human intellect. When a person is called to do something else with their life, they may need our support and encouragement. The move into a ministry, the missions field, or some other drastic career change may seem really dumb from the world's point of view. As I read more about what others are doing after a layoff, I find that many look to God and make the same choice that I have, follow Him! Others are called right back to the same field, but in a different company, location, or even a different country. Nothing wrong with that, we all must go where the Lord would have us to be.

Speaking of location, I am going to try some different writing locations over the next week or so. The distractions here at home are hampering my efforts. The change may be as simple as a different room, but I'll see what happens.

Have a fabulous Christmas this year!

Bucky

No comments: