Tuesday, October 24, 2006

October 24, 2006

Good Morning! Sometimes a rule or policy is posted in plain sight and we miss it or don’t pay attention when we should have. This happened to me yesterday and was then brought to my attention. This first stanza from Psalm 119 spoke to me about the commandments of the Lord.
1. Happy are people of integrity,
who follow the law of the Lord.
2 Happy are those who obey his decrees
and search for him with all their hearts.
3 They do not compromise with evil,
and they walk only in his paths.
4 You have charged us
to keep your commandments carefully.
5 Oh, that my actions would consistently
reflect your principles!
6 Then I will not be disgraced
when I compare my life with your commands.
7 When I learn your righteous laws,
I will thank you by living as I should!
8 I will obey your principles.
Please don't give up on me!

Yesterday’s incident brought to mind the question of those who don’t know God’s laws. Perhaps the 10 Commandments have not been posted on their City Hall or the Bible has never been seen in their part of the world. Are they held accountable on Judgment Day for the Law? The Bible tells us that they are indeed for the laws of the Lord have been written on their hearts. Even those who have never seen the 10 Commandments know that they should not commit murder, or bear false witness, or steal. When you set a nice burger on your table and turn away to grab the salt shaker from the cupboard, what might a dog do with that opportunity? Yes, a dog who has not been taught obedience might take the opportunity to snatch your burger. How does the dog go about the act of theft though? You have probably seen a dog in the act of theft at some time. Does the dog gracefully sit in the chair and eat as though it belongs there? No, unless it has been shown otherwise or accumulated enough evidence through experience, it will snatch the burger and flee. Even a dog knows that you didn’t set the burger there with the intention of giving it to him.
I like the last verse; it would seem that even thousands of years ago this psalmist had trouble with obedience. He or she prayed to the Lord, “Please don’t give up on me!” Amen to that.

God will not give up on us!

Bucky

No comments: