Monday, November 20, 2023

A Powerful Promise

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.  And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.  John 14:12-14

As the long-time readers of this devotional will know, I once tried to use this passage to ask for something I did not need and that was likely not in line with God's will for me. The experiment showed that I could not even ask the thing due to a restraining influence in me. So, due to the recent pushback from several quarters on the Rapture theology or Dispensationalism, I wondered how so many could have faith in Christ that the Rapture will happen. And there was this passage of scripture. The Rapture can happen in the twinkling of an eye, as Paul tells it, because so many who believe in Jesus have asked in His name for this to happen. Does this go against the will of God? I should think not, as He is not willing that any should perish and God desires that all should repent and come to Him. Does this leave room for some to endure to the end and be saved as in the Olivet Discourse? Yes indeed. Could a person have faith in Jesus for salvation and not believe in the Rapture? This would tend to explain how two can be working together in a field and one taken while the other is left behind, since with any two people both could believe in Jesus. 

So, some believe and use our Lord's powerful promise in one way, while others who believe use it in another way, and yet both are called by the Lord to do this? Sure, the Lord has a variety of workers in the field! 

We all need faith in our Lord Jesus,

Bucky

No comments: