Friday, January 27, 2023

I Have Found

And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, "Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!"  Luke 15:6

That a sheep just on the other side of a hedge and overlooked by the shepherd would bring a cause for rejoicing with the neighbors and friends seems unlikely. No, this sheep had managed to get itself into a place that a sheep should not have been able to find. Or, the sheep wasn't just missed on quick look but was missed for several days or weeks. So long was the sheep lost that the shepherd had all but given it up for lost. Thus the rejoicing with friends and neighbors in our verse for today. Now imagine Jesus coming home to the Father in Heaven and saying much the same thing. You and I are of course playing the part of the lost sheep, and so is that friend over there and the neighbor on the street and that fellow in church, and so on. When each lost sheep is brought into the fold, there is that announcement by the Savior our Lord in Heaven, "I have found!" It is a statement of discovery, of rescue, and of rejoicing. 

Feeling lost today? Imagine the Lord Jesus announcing to the saints in Heaven, "I have found this one!" over you as you look up to your Savior. 

Bucky

No comments: