Thursday, September 23, 2021

Your Yes And Only Your Yes

But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

Have you ever been asked to do this thing, and been asked if you know how? Of course you have. And responding with a hearty, "Yes!" you attempt to go out the door. However, the world, it seems, does not like to let your yes be yes, and a lengthy instructional lecture on how to do this thing is soon endured. Didn't you just affirm that you understood the thing? Why the instructional lecture? Will the world not let your 'yes' be 'yes'?

Yes, you or I may be full of understanding in our estimation of that thing, and then we may run into one of the most humiliating of circumstances, the request for instruction because the thing we thought was so well understood turns out to not be quite like that thing we vowed we understood so well. Vow, what vow, we might ask? Oh, the one where, frustrated with the glacial pace of the lecture of knowledge we think we knew already, we blurt out something like, "As God is my witness, I know everything about this thing, and will do it as soon as you stop lecturing me!"

Uh, oh, might have just called God to witness my great humiliation... Jesus said don't do that.

You may have a different history to call upon, but in my case a lot of embarrassing moments might have been avoided if I had just not done what my Lord Jesus said for me not to have done!

Love in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: