Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Temporary Things

For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18b

Some of the things around me I have kept for a long time by my reckoning. There is a King James Bible copy back yonder on the table that I have kept since 1981. But wait, there is a Gideon's New Testament copy that I have kept since I spelled the man's name, 'Jhon'! How far back must that one be? Is it permanent yet? Nope, that length of time does not make them permanent and certainly not eternal. Any of us might have an easier time holding our 'stuff' loosely while we walk in this world if we can look at each thing and call it temporary. But no, we usually look at them and say, "Mine!" 

Temporary is this world and all that we see around us. House, possessions, trees, grass, rocks, and even our outward appearance and body are temporary. If we can see them today, pretty much a good bet that we can call them temporary. Now, on the other hand, that soul of our brother or sister in Christ is eternal. God is eternal; unseen by us at this time, but eternal nonetheless. 

Might we break down Paul's statement by the use of our late model brains in this case? Can there be a chance to prove one little sentence, and one of Paul's shorter ones at that, wrong and by that wedge go on to prove all the Bible wrong? You can bet some would try in this age. We might talk about tiny things like atoms or a virus, or non-reflective things that we cannot see in our attempt. But, that doesn't prove anything yet because we haven't seen...wait for it... eternity! Nope, I cannot prove by my little brain that my soul will last for eternity since I cannot see all of eternity. It's like me in my imperfection trying to prove God is perfect. Would not my proof be imperfect coming as it does from imperfect me? Ow, now I've gone and strained that poor little brain of mine. 

Thank God for Himself and His Son, our Lord and Savior Jesus, by faith we believe in Him!

Bucky

No comments: