Saturday, January 20, 2018

Solitaire For The Soul

"Therefore, behold, I will again do a marvelous work
​​Among this people,
​​A marvelous work and a wonder;
​​For the wisdom of their wise men shall perish,
​​And the understanding of their prudent men shall be hidden.” Isaiah 29:14

If you must, admit it, you have played the solitaire game, perhaps more than one, on your computer. The draw piles in a game of solitaire behave much like man in his quest to do without God. "If I just get this one card, I can complete the game in record time," he says, as he draws almost inevitably it seems, another of the cards he does not need. The great time waster does not often give up the card the man wants when he wants it. Then the man turns to blaming God for it!

I, of course, only use a game or two of solitaire while I am thinking of what to write, wink, wink...ow, I think my winker just broke.

We need some rest once in a while, but sometimes it gets out of hand. What a great analogy for those plans we make without God though, and sometimes the wrong reaction that follows. Jonah was a great example of this too with his big plant.

As opposed to the outcome of the many vain things we try to accomplish in this life, God still lays out promises like the one in our verse for today. The Lord also makes it clear that it is not because of what man thinks is wise and what he boasts is understood by him. The marvelous works of the Lord are done by the Lord, sometimes in spite of our efforts in those vain things that accomplish so little. I like those marvelous works in which our Lord lets me help out in my small way too. One day I believe we will be surprised at what the Lord accomplished with our little offerings... given here and there between the games of solitaire.

I jest! Remember to let your nose back away from that grindstone now and then. Trust in the Lord to lead you in resting too!

Bucky

No comments: