Thursday, January 25, 2018

Heaven Needs No Polishing

Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne set in heaven, and One sat on the throne. And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, in appearance like an emerald. Revelation 4:2-3

If I see a bit of tarnished brass, I want to polish it. This is not unusual as many people feel the urge to polish those tarnished things that meet their eye. Husbands have felt this 'eye' many a time when leaving the house in that favorite old sweatshirt and jeans. Some have even reported it burning the old clothes right off of them. However, for my case, I must beware of creating an idol. To polish a thing to a brilliant shine and admire it for the shine and the effort required might be fine. But should I find myself admiring it overmuch, perhaps talking to it, or making a request of the lifeless thing would be going too far. God is very much against idolatry.

That could not happen today, we like to say, we are much too rational for such primitive beliefs. Ever see a man cleaning and polishing his gun collection? Is he talking to them as he works? Have you ever met a person who encouraged her money to go forth and reproduce? I may be going over the top a bit, but I am also convinced that we have all been tempted by idolatry and the most effective times were those when we didn't realize that was the temptation.

Some of the things we might enjoy here on the earth probably won't happen in Heaven. God doesn't need me to polish things in Heaven because Heaven needs no polishing. The accounts we have of visits to Heaven from John, Ezekiel, and Isaiah show clearly that tarnishing is not a problem. Will we have to wash dishes in Heaven? That's one we will just have to wait to find out.

Praise God for the purity of His Heaven!
Bucky

No comments: