Friday, November 17, 2017

The Rule of Love

When the rule of Rehoboam was established and he was strong, he abandoned the law of the LORD, and all Israel with him. 2 Chronicles 12:1 ESV

When my good behavior was based in the rule of law and the authority figures who both policed and prosecuted the law were removed by time or distance, I found that my good behavior was far more apt to slip out from under me. This hardly makes me unique of course, many a child has grown up to college age and found the college life to be much more libertine than expected, and then been further surprised by his or her participation in those liberties. (The feminists of the world will be glad to note that in my observations the girls were no less apt toward slippage than the boys.) You might say that without the authorities, the authority of the law was not recognized.

In fact during my time serving in that most authoritarian of places, boot camp, I found that as soon as the authority turned his back I could be sneaky, underhanded, and even devious. I'm quite sure that I listed no such goal in the 10-year plan portion of my high school graduation book. Yes, like many a young man or woman, I discovered the sinner in me really liked to stand forth when I was strong.

Ah, there it is, not only was it when the authority seemed absent, but it was those times when I thought of my own strength that I fell hardest into sin. The good kid was only good when under a mightier thumb. Rehoboam seems to have discovered the same thing. Established and strong, at least in his own sight, he abandoned the law of the Lord. Sadly, as he was king the entire nation fell with him.

In order to return to my Lord and His law, I had first to become weak in my own estimation. We do this through repentance and confession, but it is enabled by my Lord's dear Holy Spirit. (And yes, He can use a traumatic circumstance!) It is told best in the parable of the prodigal son by Jesus. And it is experienced by about every Christian I have met. We all endure a time of strength and disobedience and return to the Father weak and more available to His authority, whether we think He is looking or not. Of course as love grows in us from the Father's love for us, we know that He is always looking and that gives us comfort where once it incited a desire to rebel. The prodigals returned weak and willing to submit to the rule of love.

Praise God for His patience with the prodigals!
Bucky

No comments: