Friday, November 03, 2017

Looking Past Today

Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Matthew 6:30

That grass would not have a rejoicing day if all it did was look at 'oven day' coming tomorrow. So, how long has it been since you looked ahead past today to your own 'oven day'? As a person tempted often by anxiety and worry, you may ask me that and I might have to confess that I was doing just that until you interrupted me.

Worrying tomorrow's worries, imagining a today that won't happen, and borrowing fear from days ahead are and have been specialties of mine. I have grown quite proficient in this sort of activity, and every bit of it is sin.

Then, there is a sort of complimentary benefit to that kind of activity: having a worry for today that I am tempted to look past to an imaginary better tomorrow. It is certainly right to live in faith that tomorrow will be better than today; I'm not asking anyone to give up the promises our Lord left with us. The trial the Lord has set for me today does merit my attention though, and procrastination is another of those temptation things to be resisted in prayer and the strength our Lord gives to us.

Taking out a high-interest loan of imaginary trouble from tomorrow is as bad as stockpiling real troubles for tomorrow that should be solved today. And of course a brother or sister in Christ might be depending upon me to do my part in today's trouble lest their daily burden become overwhelming tomorrow.

Today is where my Lord Jesus walks and my place is with Him. Tomorrow will have to wait its turn.

Have a great today with Jesus!
Bucky

No comments: