Thursday, November 09, 2017

Great In The Sight Of The Lord

For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. Luke 1:15-16

We enjoy watching those who have practiced a skill since a very young age as they show a talent far beyond our own ability. Imagine then how skilled John the Baptist was at his craft having begun before his conception in the womb of his mother!

But was it that way? Practice, dedication, perseverance... human effort? The order of things in these verses is interesting: John will be great in the sight of the Lord before all those other things he will do. We tend to reverse that order, as in I haven't touched wine or strong drink therefore I must be great in the sight of the Lord. ("I" in this case not meaning me, as I have touched both in this life.) Always it is our accomplishments we want to make us great in the Lord's sight. But here the Lord declares it first, and then all of those great things follow. Very similar to the command Jesus gave in His great sermon to seek ye first the kingdom of God, and then all the other things will be added unto ye.

I cannot by my effort make myself great in the Lord's sight. If the Lord wills it, the Lord declares it and it is so. And so it is with our salvation. My behavior doesn't save me, the efforts and declaration of the Lord makes it so. When we pray that His will be done, we pray that all will be saved. Therefore, let His will be done today in the lives of neighbors, friends, all we love in Christ!

Greatest is His gift to us of His Son, our Lord and Savior,

Bucky

No comments: