Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tell Tales of Love

Good morning, the temp is a very nice 45° this morning. Oh wait, not tell tall tales, but tell tales of love. We do at times misunderstand the commands of our Lord. Jesus said that we are to be the salt of the earth. Salt in a wound stings, so we think that Christians are to hurt people. Jesus went on to say that if salt has lost its savor it is thrown out. We use 'sting' to avoid the fact that salt in a wound hurts. It causes great pain. Sting is a weasel word, a nice word for something awful. Those who do not yet believe in Christ should not be afraid of being hurt by us, they should enjoy when we are around. Salt tastes good on food, get it? But we tend to want the yeast of the Pharisees to satisfy our desire for control.

Some would have us take over the government and pass all sorts of 'thou shalt nots'. Some would have us out in the public square pointing out sins for others to correct. We don't need to become disciples of Christ to do these things. The government already owns extensive volumes of thou shalt not laws. Instead, we can tell tales of love. What has God done for me, or for you? What was I saved from by the sacrifice of Jesus? What does grace mean for my life? Many have gathered to help me in my current need; that is a tale of love worth telling. When I suffered a serious accident many years ago, people I didn't even know sent get well cards to the hospital. Have I done similar things? Sure I have, but when telling tales of love we also tend to shy away from tooting our own horn as they say. We don't want to lose our reward in Heaven by shouting out tales of our deeds on the street corner as some did back in Jesus' time. However, let us be careful not to hide that light Jesus gave to you and me. Tell those tales of love.

Blessing and honor to Jesus Christ our Lord!
Bucky

No comments: