Friday, February 10, 2012

Loosen That Grip!

Good Friday morning! The earth seems solid today, as it does on most days. The legs seem to be working and the neck is holding my cranium up, more or less. What have I got to worry about? Of course, my mind can immediately think of a dozen things. I am reminded by the Spirit this morning that I am upheld by more than this. For the past couple of nights I have dreamed of what would normally be fear-filled situations: dragons, zombies, dangerous folks, and heights, in that order. However, in no dream did I feel fear for the reminder of God's strength was always there. You may not know this, but one of the dangers faced by an amateur climber is holding on too tightly. This seems strange to us ground lubbers, but I have read it more than once. The amateur grips every grip with all of his strength until his hands simply wear out from the strain. I wonder, if in the entertaining of my fears I might not try to grip God too tightly. Is that even possible?

We are upheld in more than this. My grip is not strong enough to keep me in God's love. However, I am upheld in God's love by God's own Son. My strength is not an issue in the matter except where I wear out my grip by clinging in terror of the world. Are we to go about in blissful ignorance of our situation then? That does not seem to be a very good answer. I know my situation, but to constantly inventory my strength and resources will only make the fear worse. Instead, I cling lightly to God's hand as He upholds me in His mighty strength. This is not simply an idle metaphor. I read His Word daily, pray without ceasing, bring my supplications with thanksgiving, and rejoice in the Lord. My prayers do not only concern myself either. In every trial I have faced, I can immediately think of a brother or sister in Christ who has faced worse. God brought them through the trial or took them home to be with Him. Do we see a losing side to that result? I didn't think so.

Enjoy a wonderful Friday in Christ Jesus!
Bucky

No comments: