Monday, September 06, 2010

Start With the Earthly Things - September 6, 2010

Good Labor Day morning! The wind has come up and the next cold front is on the way. I'm not sure what my sprinklers are watering this morning, but I am sure the driveway will not grow with a little watering. Hopefully some of the neighbor's sprinklers will pay back some of the water I've given away this morning. I guess I was just following Jesus' commandment to love my neighbor before I even got up this morning. I wonder if today's Bible verse has anything for us on loving our neighbors?

"But if you don't believe me when I tell you about earthly things, how can you possibly believe if I tell you about heavenly things?" John 2:12

Jesus gives Nicodemus a question to consider. We have the same question to consider in our own lives. How will we believe what Jesus says about Heaven, if we don't already believe in what He has said about earthly things? I also take from this verse that the birth by the Spirit takes place here on Earth. Do we believe in what Jesus is saying?

On my computer screen, in another browser window, a spokesperson is selling something in an ad. Her whole face and body, with perfect tan and studio makeup, is saying, "Believe me! Believe me!" Jesus didn't come in the guise of an attractive model selling something that is hard to believe. Jesus came as a humble man of no special physical attractiveness. Yet his words are life. We find it easy to believe too many advertisements with their attractive models and pitches, but how are we doing at believing everything Jesus said?

From today's verse, I also see that we must obey what Jesus said about our earthly life before his statements about Heaven will start to mean something to me. I need to love my neighbor. I need to love God with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength. I need to give to the poor, to pay my taxes, and several other earthly things in order to receive into my heart what Jesus has taught me about Heaven. I will need some help with this; praise God for His Holy Spirit! We all need to learn the earthly things Jesus told us about so that we can have the heavenly things in our heart.

Have a great Labor Day in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: