Saturday, September 25, 2010

Second Banana - September 25, 2010

Good Saturday morning! And what a nice morning it is too! Only one small problem, I was nearly home from my walk before the sun came up. I suppose the sunrise photography is going to have to make an adjustment for the season. Perhaps it's the sunrise photographer who will need to make the adjustment...

Today, John the Baptist takes a humble position and explains his calling to us.

"It is the bridegroom who marries the bride, and the best man is simply glad to stand with him and hear his vows. Therefore, I am filled with joy at his success." John 3:29

John's calling was not to be Jesus, even though some people kept asking him if he was the Messiah. Jesus is and was the Messiah, and John the Baptist was overjoyed as Jesus began his ministry. You or I may be called to be second banana to someone who has fame, fortune, and a huge ministry. That does not mean that God values us less than another person. You have your calling, I have my calling, that famous minister has his calling, and the little girl who loves to act may become a famous movie actress one day - we each have our own path to walk with Jesus. Our calling may be in assisting another person to greatness. Our calling might also be to labor in relative obscurity for our entire life. How will our good works be judged? Not against that other person, but by how well we followed Christ as he led us along the path of our very own journey.

I like the message from Pastor Rogers today. Even though he passed on to Heaven a few years ago, the message is still vibrant today, perhaps especially in light of that Great Recession that is supposedly over. I am learning this very truth day by day as I move forward with Jesus and without a regular job. The future looks very exciting, but if I give in to the worry monster, I might just crawl back to my "Egypt" so to speak. Victory lies ahead with Jesus.

Have a great Saturday, and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather this coming week.

Bucky

No comments: