Thursday, September 28, 2006

September 28, 2006

Good Morning! This is the season of Homecomings; yes that time when high schools, colleges, and associated organizations see a crowd of old folks return to their schools for a visit. Now in the case of colleges, they are hoping the alumni bring a bunch of money, for some reason colleges can seem to spend every cent they get. Capturing the past, even if only for a weekend, will be on the minds of many during the next month. Should we seek out the past or try to relive the “good” times? During the worst of my anxiety, I often thought of moving somewhere as if to run away from the problems in my head. Moving back to Kimball, where I grew up, was one of those potential escape routes. However, I came to realize as I was driving through the streets of that town, that it would not be the same. The house that I grew up in had been sold and even extensively remodeled; many of the people that I grew up with were gone or had moved to new houses and those still in the same house would, like myself, have grown much older. A popular saying is that you can never go home again, and that is true if you are trying to go back to some earlier time in your life, especially to run away from problems. God would have us to look forward, to our home in heaven. That is our great hope and comfort. “Home” on this earth will be wherever you decide it is; wherever we set up our temporary and earthbound dwelling place. In Christ we know how temporary all of this is in the larger reality. A visit to the old school or town may be nice, but let it remind you that we are but travelers in this land, our home lies elsewhere.

Yours in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: