Saturday, September 23, 2006

September 23, 2006

Good Morning! It’s cold, it’s wet, and it’s raining outside, la, la, doobee, do. Yes, the first day of autumn will not set any high temp records here, though we probably won’t see any snow. It seems to me that at one other time when the LWF devotional had not been updated on their web site; we had Pastor Kennedy pinch hitting and saw this same devotional. There must be a message in there for us! For you folks reading the blog, check www.crm.tv and the devotional for Sept. 23 on William Wilberforce, as I do not post the copyrighted content on my blog (except for my own of course J ) I see today that the Washington Post is touting the fact that US combat fatalities from Iraq and Afghanistan now exceed the number of people killed on 9/11. I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones from this life in both events, however I must wonder about the wisdom of comparing the two statistics. My first reaction is “So what?” Does the fact make the sacrifice of our armed forces any less? Will it bring them back? No and no to both questions of course. Please forgive me, but I get upset when the media touts something like this as evidence of some point we are supposed to gasp over. Had Saddam in either war possessed an army or air force worth half a hoot, we would have suffered many more casualties. A hoot is of course an informal measure of quality for you intellectuals out there. Like most of you, I don’t want anyone to die over there; however wars don’t usually oblige our wishes in that respect. If you don’t believe that we are at war, let the terrorists or insurgents, whichever you like, stay in your garage for a while. Try to imagine keeping an eye out for IED’s on your commute to work every day. I thank God for the fall of Saddam and his régime, and the continued pursuit of terrorists in far away lands. I would prefer not to suit up in body armor, hop in my armored humvee and drive to work each day. Not that an armored vehicle wouldn’t be a bad idea when driving in some of our cities at times! The war in Iraq may or may not be a sign of the end times; Jesus told us not to jump to conclusions to soon about such signs. However, it is easy to ponder the possibilities of a rebuilt Iraq/Iran and wonder about the New Babylon mentioned in the Bible…

God Bless you on this first day of Autumn!

Bucky

No comments: