Thursday, July 23, 2026

This One Again

(from July 22)

So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.  Mark 11:22-24

Oh, this one again. And the obvious questions that arise from it. Why didn't I get that thing I wanted? Why didn't this other thing happen when I believed? We often feel the temptation to look at this passage as a magical incantation to get whatever riches or fame we want. Some clues for us aspiring magicians: God cannot be forced to do things no matter what we say. God will not go against His own will. God cannot be made to give us something that is bad for us to have, even if we do not doubt. 

But, a protest comes forth, Jesus did not say that! Bible versions often put in headings, and these headings can separate the words of Jesus so that we stop too soon. Jesus after this says, "And whenever you stand praying..." He says to forgive. So, to believe and receive, I had better have my trespassers forgiven? Yes, a heart not aligned with God's will in forgiving will have trouble believing without doubting. And of course the biggest mountain that needs casting into the sea would be our sinful selfishness. Have faith in God and believe that will be accomplished first, and then see how many selfish prayer requests come to mind.  

Have faith in God, and don't try to be that selfish magician.

Bucky

No comments: