But Jesus answered and said to them, “I also will ask you one question; then answer Me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things: The baptism of John—was it from heaven or from men? Answer Me.” Mark 11:29-30
Here's a good one for us. When looking at this story in Mark, what is the story? Is it the question Jesus asked, or is it the religious authorities getting together and refusing to answer? Confessing to not knowing is usually a good place to begin learning something. However, in this case the religious authorities used it to avoid answering one way or another. We would say they refused to engage with Jesus.
It began as a familiar exchange: they wanted Jesus to inform them of something, and Jesus countered with a knowledge for knowledge offer. You have this, I have that, let's make a deal. But when it came time for one side to perform, they discussed it and decided that they were afraid to answer His question. Jesus had neatly pinned the religious authorities in a corner, and they decided, in effect, to huddle in that corner until He went away. Oh, but they still wanted Jesus to answer their question. He didn't, and they missed an opportunity to learn and believe.
If you feel sad for these religious authorities, you are quite right!
Bucky
No comments:
Post a Comment